Sunday, November 2, 2008

Post #14 The Boy's House

I have a certain group of friends that mean the world to me. The problem is, each of them are spread out all over the place, so it’s hard for me to visit them all. But I do see one group of my friends pretty frequently. They are a group of boys that I hung out with a lot in high school. I call them my “Lincoln Boys” only because of the place that they live. They're home is my home away from...well, shitty dorm, actually. (On the sidie you can see a picture of what their living room looks like but I've realized that I've never really taken a picture of just their house, only the people inside of it.)

I go visit them every time that I need a little time away from Wesleyan, so pretty frequently, actually. They own a house around 27th street and it is nothing short of a stereotypical bachelor pad. They have the beer posters on the wall and the very reveling posters of girls. I mean, this house is exactly what the movies make all those boys who live together in college look like. Everything is perfect.


The only thing that could make it better was if their house wasn't directly located in the middle of one of Lincoln's ghettos. But, I'm not going to lie, every day there is pretty exciting and no two days are alike.

So many people ask me, “why in the world do you like hanging out in this environment?” The answer is simple. I love it because they are my boys. I’ve always gotten along better with boys than I do with girls and I’ve hung out with these guys long enough that they don’t look for anything in me. They see me as just another one of the guys and I love that feeling. I love the fact that they don’t act any different around me. When other girls come, they all act differently, each trying to impress her, but when I’m there, it’s like all the boys don’t even see me as a girl. I feel so open and free there, like I don’t have to impress anyone.

It’s nice to have a place to escape to every once in awhile.

No comments: